Sunday, February 20, 2011

de-friended

I know there's no such word as de-friended (i think). However, how do you describe in one word when a friend from Facebook has removed you from his/her list of friends?

I don't make it a habit of checking my list of friends on Facebook to see whether or not someone has removed me as their friend. Recently, I noticed that I have not been receiving updates on my News Feed regarding one friend and so I decided to visit her profile. It was then that I discovered that this friend whom I have known from grad school has not only removed me from fb, she has also blocked me. For what reason, I don't know. I'll probably never know.

At the moment, I don't know yet what to feel. Should I be sad?  (well the fact that I am asking this questions already proves that I am not. At least not at the moment). Should I feel angry and betrayed? (we did have good times in the old days). Should I feel guilty? (of what, I do not know.)

To my knowledge, I have not done or said anything against this person that would warrant my being removed from her list.  Maybe my not having the same opinion about a common friend's love life has offended her but that has been a long time ago. Other than this, I don't see any reason why she did what she did unless something I posted on FB has offended her (well then I guess she has a bigger problem than I thought since I don't think there's anything offensive about posting pictures of your son and husband and telling the world about the weather and what I ate for lunch).

Like I wrote above, I probably will never know what drove her to doing this. The only question I have now is, am I still her friend in the real world (as opposed to the virtual world)? I guess not.

2 comments:

  1. seriously????!!!! oh well. while i wanted to say, "sis, i'm so sorry to hear that.", a part of me wants to "hirit" that she is, by far, more on the losing end for having to decide de-friending you.

    come to think of it, i didn't de-friend this friend (if she is, at all, uncommon to us. *wink*) because she stopped being one. i think, i de-friended her because i wanted to save her from all my cheesy-ness, which i think makes her puke anyway. in short, i don't think she would be interested in me in a sincere, kind of way. and if ever i do cross her mind, i'm pretty sure she would die to know whether i have fucked up once again from an unsound decision that i made or if i failed in so many (countless) ways despite my efforts to make my life a bit better each day.

    at the end of the day, sis, it all boils down to what is within your control. you. if, in the grand scheme of things, you know in your heart that you never (in anyway) betrayed her (except to disagree with her) or hurt her (except to suffocate her with all your mushy affirmations of family love splashed boldly in your FB and here) then you should welcome that de-friendship. if she isn't worth all the crap, then she isn't worth the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sis, thank you for this comment.

    "if, in the grand scheme of things, you know in your heart that you never (in any way) betrayed her...or hurt her...you should welcome the de-friendship" - this, i guess, also apply to another friend who turned her back on our friendship. that one hit me worse but i think i will keep quiet about it (unless i am ask, i will not explain why we are not friends anymore) hehehe

    ReplyDelete