Monday, February 21, 2011

A Letter to My Son

Dear Son,

I know that you are still a baby but it is never too early to start giving you advices.  One day you will fall in love and when you do, I would like you to keep this story in mind and the lessons that go with it.

In the past, whenever your father brought home his girlfriends to introduce them to your grandparents, your Oma only had two reactions: she would either ignore them or she would leave the room to cry in the kitchen. It is not obvious that your Oma did not approve of your father's former girlfriends, is it?

Then one day, your grandparents got a Skype call from your father (your Papa was in Qatar at that time) where he then introduced his new girlfriend who happens to be a Filipina.  This time your Oma did not react in her usual ways. She sat there, looking happy and excited (I should know, I was there at that time. I may not understand any word your Opa and Oma said but I could read emotions on people's faces).  Later on, your Papa told me told that his parents are happy for us and that Oma said it felt right and so she is happy.

One day, I asked your father how sure is he that your Oma approves of me when he first introduced me on Skype. He said, the call would not last five minutes (it lasted for more than an hour).

Fast forward to the present. Your Papa and I are happily married and our union have been blessed with you as the new addition to our small family. As for Oma and Opa, they let us turn their peaceful world topsy-turvy  as they opened their hearts to me (but they are happier for it. haha).

Now you will ask, what is the moral of this story?  There are two:

  1.  Mothers know best (it's our maternal instincts at work).  You better listen to your mother.
  2.  In choosing a girlfriend/wife, choose well (refer to lesson number 1)

If you don't believe me. Ask your father.

Love,

Mama

p.s. this is quite self serving isn't it? LOL

1 comment:

  1. you should start writing letters for Colin here!!!!

    so i can add to "lessons learned":
    (1) when choosing a girlfriend, choose smart over sexy; nice over pretty --- unless when that time comes that almost all girls are blessed to have all these Bs -- beauty, brains, breed --- then you are off on a good start. because at the end of the day, sexy and pretty will never defy gravity. :)

    ReplyDelete